Retargeting is an extremely important element to include in any media plan, because it engages audiences who have shown previous interest in the brand/product. This tactic drives performance by targeting the “low hanging fruit,” or easiest people to convert. Whether you’re working with a small local or large regional advertiser, there are a variety of strategies to implement when it comes to retargeting—get started below!
The first step to a retargeting campaign is to build an audience. There are a variety of ways to build an audience within the DSP: using pixels or utilizing the audience capture feature in the DSP.
Pixels are pieces of code an advertiser has to place in order to build the audience pool. Where pixels are placed, will depend on campaign objectives. There are three primary types of pixels, listed below:
- Website Audience Pixel – Placed on the backend of an advertiser’s website (desktop or mobile web), this audience will consist of users who have visited that website.
- Email Newsletter Pixel – Placed on an image in an advertiser’s email newsletter, this will result in an audience made up of users who have opened that email.
- Search URL Pixel – Placed within the search campaign’s linking URL, this will create an audience who visited an advertiser’s site via a search campaign.
Audience Capture – A way to build an audience from a campaign that does not require a pixel placement. This option is great for advertisers who do not have access to the backend of their site or who want to re-engage users who have interacted with the campaign.
- Audience: Campaign Clickers – This audience is created based on clicks on an active campaign. This can be a great substitute if an advertiser is unable to place a pixel. During campaign set-up, let your buyer know you are looking to capture clickers. This is a great audience to build for conversion campaigns.
- Audience: Campaign Converters – This audience is created based on who converts in an active campaign—and does not require any pixel placement. During campaign set-up, let your buyer know that you want to capture converters. This audience can be used to retarget for future purchases/offers, or it can be excluded from the existing retargeting campaign.
Retargeting is the perfect way to re-engage users who have already shown an interest in your advertiser’s brand and/or product/service. Discuss the retargeting strategy early and include it as often as you can! https://www.zp-pdl.com